5S is an organizational methodology that results in a workplace that is clean, uncluttered, safe, and well organized, which helps reduce waste and optimize productivity. It’s designed to facilitate a quality work environment, both physically and mentally. The system focuses on putting everything where it belongs, keeping the workplace clean, and making it easier for people to do their jobs without wasting time or risking injury.
The term “5S” stands for:
- Identification and removal of all unnecessary items from the workplace. Sort through the entire workplace, identify, red tag, and remove all unnecessary or unused items.
Set in order
- Designate a location for all necessary items to perform the job. Items are placed in a location where they are needed and easily accessible.
- Scrub/clean regularly, continually look for abnormalities and ways to keep your work area clean and organized. Paint floors, equipment, and furniture white where appropriate.
- Standardize the workplace by creating visual control and guidelines for the first 3 S’s.
- Sustain the culture through training, support, audits, and accountability.
Through the leadership of several key team members, Universal Custom Display has embraced the 5S system, enforcing their lean manufacturing goals. By implementing the 5S system, UCD has been able to create more efficiency among departments, increased productivity on the shop floor, and greatly improved employee safety.
UCD will continue to find ways to grow employee knowledge, improve production processes, and increase productivity company wide….